View Full Version : HELP-Canon Scanner Software

buried_myself_alive
10-25-2004, 07:30 PM
i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou on
it. i have the scanner and the usb cable but i lost the software cd
and i cant seem to find the software on the internet,i've searched
almost all pages google bring me.All of the drivers i find seem to
be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
the software i need?
thanks

Michael Vilain
10-25-2004, 08:13 PM
In article <417d5463$1_3[at]alt.athenanews.com>,
buried_myself_alive <sheffmeisteruk[at]yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid>
wrote:

> i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou on
> it. i have the scanner and the usb cable but i lost the software cd
> and i cant seem to find the software on the internet,i've searched
> almost all pages google bring me.All of the drivers i find seem to
> be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
> the software i need?
> thanks

Canon doesn't make a "n67ou" scanner, so you won't get very far
searching for it. Google turned up lots of links for "Canoscan n670u":

http://www.scanner-drivers.com/companies/191.htm

And pick up a book on GOOGLE and how to use it:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks/index.html

--

Ian McCall
10-25-2004, 08:27 PM
> i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou...
> All of the drivers i find seem to
> be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
> the software i need?

Unfortunately, I think the plug-ins are all that exist. That's certainly the
case for my scanner, a Canon N65U. Good news is thqat you can use the
plug-ins with Graphic Converter, which is a lot cheaper than Photoshop.

Cheers,
Ian

Wade
10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:27:55 -0400, Ian McCall wrote
(in article <2u55ueF24rohsU1[at]uni-berlin.de>):

> "buried_myself_alive" <sheffmeisteruk[at]yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote
> in message news:417d5463$1_3[at]alt.athenanews.com...
>> i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou...
>> All of the drivers i find seem to
>> be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
>> the software i need?
>
> Unfortunately, I think the plug-ins are all that exist. That's certainly the
> case for my scanner, a Canon N65U. Good news is thqat you can use the
> plug-ins with Graphic Converter, which is a lot cheaper than Photoshop.
>

> Cheers,
> Ian

Vuescan will let u use most scanners.
Find it on Versiontracker.
Wade

"Better to try all things and to find all empty, than to try nothing and
leave your life a blank. - Charlotte Bronte"

Walt Basil
10-25-2004, 11:11 PM
On 2004-10-25 13:30:43 -0600, buried_myself_alive
<sheffmeisteruk[at]yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> said:

> i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou on
> it. i have the scanner and the usb cable but i lost the software cd
> and i cant seem to find the software on the internet,i've searched
> almost all pages google bring me.All of the drivers i find seem to
> be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
> the software i need?
> thanks

There are no drivers for it for use with OS X that I know of, except as
you stated about the plugins. I have a N650U, and use VueScan. It's
shareware, but very versatile, and handles most Canon scanners. You can
find more info on it here:
<http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html>

For a list of Canon scanners it does support, see here:
<http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#canon>
--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

Andreas Rutishauser
10-26-2004, 05:12 AM
Salut together

In article <2004102517115775249%firstname[at]lastnamewebnet>,
Walt Basil <(firstname)[at](lastname)web.net> wrote:

> On 2004-10-25 13:30:43 -0600, buried_myself_alive
> <sheffmeisteruk[at]yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> said:
>
> > i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou on
> > it. i have the scanner and the usb cable but i lost the software cd
> > and i cant seem to find the software on the internet,i've searched
> > almost all pages google bring me.All of the drivers i find seem to
> > be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
> > the software i need?
> > thanks

> There are no drivers for it for use with OS X that I know of,

sorry, BS

you'll find the CanoScan Toolbox for OS X and the ScanGear Plugin here:
<http://software.canon-europe.com/Scanners/Flatbed_Scanners/CanoScan_N670
U475.asp>
(Sorry for the many languages, but the Canon US site does not provide a
usable link.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

Andreas Rutishauser
10-26-2004, 05:13 AM
Salut Michael

In article <vilain-09852E.13132425102004[at]news.giganews.com>,
"Michael Vilain <vilain[at]spamcop.net>" wrote:

> > i've recently got an ibook g4 and i want to use my canoscan n67ou on
> > it. i have the scanner and the usb cable but i lost the software cd
> > and i cant seem to find the software on the internet,i've searched
> > almost all pages google bring me.All of the drivers i find seem to
> > be plug-ins for the exsisting software but can anyone help me get
> > the software i need?

> Canon doesn't make a "n67ou" scanner,

not now, but they did some years ago, and ok, it's a N670U

where to get the drivers, see my other posting.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
<mailto:andreas[at]MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 01 / 721 36 47

Walt Basil
10-26-2004, 11:59 AM
On 2004-10-25 23:12:04 -0600, Andreas Rutishauser <andreas[at]macandreas.ch> said:

> you'll find the CanoScan Toolbox for OS X and the ScanGear Plugin here:
> <http://software.canon-europe.com/Scanners/Flatbed_Scanners/CanoScan_N670
> U475.asp>
> (Sorry for the many languages, but the Canon US site does not provide a
> usable link.
>
> Cheers
> Andreas

Whatever that installer deposits on your hard drive, it does not work.
Maybe It became broken during one of the OS upgrades? After all, the
create & mod dates to it are way back in 2002. It installed "ScanGear
CS 7.0X" in my applications folder, labeled as a document for type.
Everything else in that download were plugins. Other software available
from that site that says "for OS X" also adds the words "Classic
environment"

There's a reason the US site does not list that ;-)

--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

Walt Basil
10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
On 2004-10-25 23:12:04 -0600, Andreas Rutishauser <andreas[at]macandreas.ch> said:

> you'll find the CanoScan Toolbox for OS X and the ScanGear Plugin here:
> <http://software.canon-europe.com/Scanners/Flatbed_Scanners/CanoScan_N670
> U475.asp>
> (Sorry for the many languages, but the Canon US site does not provide a
> usable link.

Forgot to add that the original poster is requesting info on OS X
software and driver for Canon, as in the original software that came
with it for OS 9. The software that when you pushed the button on the
scanner, opened up automatically and allowed you to scan it. Not
plugins for use with other applications. Technically, yes they are
drivers, but not the kind the poster was looking for, as I understood.
--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

Andreas Rutishauser
10-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Salut Walt

In article <2004102605593116807%firstname[at]lastnamewebnet>,
Walt Basil <(firstname)[at](lastname)web.net> wrote:

> On 2004-10-25 23:12:04 -0600, Andreas Rutishauser <andreas[at]macandreas.ch>
> said:
>
> > you'll find the CanoScan Toolbox for OS X and the ScanGear Plugin here:
> > <http://software.canon-europe.com/Scanners/Flatbed_Scanners/CanoScan_N670
> > U475.asp>
> > (Sorry for the many languages, but the Canon US site does not provide a
> > usable link.

> Whatever that installer deposits on your hard drive, it does not work.
> Maybe It became broken during one of the OS upgrades? After all, the
> create & mod dates to it are way back in 2002. It installed "ScanGear
> CS 7.0X" in my applications folder, labeled as a document for type.
> Everything else in that download were plugins. Other software available
> from that site that says "for OS X" also adds the words "Classic
> environment"
>
> There's a reason the US site does not list that ;-)

The US Site does provide the software, but in a pop-up where I cannot
extract an url.

the ScanGear CS 7.0X is the plug-in... (this will work as a plug-in if
you wanrt to scan directly from i.e. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or
GraphicConverter)
You schould download and install the Toolbox and place the plug-in into
its plugin folder
If you've done eveything correctly you should have a folder "CanoScan
Toolbox" somewhere on your drive. In there should be an application
called "CanoScan Toolbox X"
To scan in a standalone application you'll need to install the CanoScan
Toolbox and the ScanGear plug-in into it's plug-ins.
It does work here and in several other places under various releases of
Jaguar and Panther.

what "does not work"? Do you get an error message? If so which one?

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
<mailto:andreas[at]MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 01 / 721 36 47

Andreas Rutishauser
10-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Salut Walt

In article <2004102606021575249%firstname[at]lastnamewebnet>,
Walt Basil <(firstname)[at](lastname)web.net> wrote:

> On 2004-10-25 23:12:04 -0600, Andreas Rutishauser <andreas[at]macandreas.ch>
> said:
>
> > you'll find the CanoScan Toolbox for OS X and the ScanGear Plugin here:
> > <http://software.canon-europe.com/Scanners/Flatbed_Scanners/CanoScan_N670
> > U475.asp>
> > (Sorry for the many languages, but the Canon US site does not provide a
> > usable link.
>
> Forgot to add that the original poster is requesting info on OS X
> software and driver for Canon, as in the original software that came
> with it for OS 9.

the link also points you to native OS X software.

>The software that when you pushed the button on the
> scanner, opened up automatically and allowed you to scan it. Not
> plugins for use with other applications. Technically, yes they are
> drivers, but not the kind the poster was looking for, as I understood.

You'll have to assign the buttons in the ToolBox

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
<mailto:andreas[at]MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 01 / 721 36 47

Walt Basil
10-26-2004, 01:03 PM
On 2004-10-26 06:47:22 -0600, Andreas Rutishauser <andreas[at]macandreas.ch> said:

> The US Site does provide the software, but in a pop-up where I cannot
> extract an url.
>
> the ScanGear CS 7.0X is the plug-in... (this will work as a plug-in if
> you wanrt to scan directly from i.e. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or
> GraphicConverter)
> You schould download and install the Toolbox and place the plug-in into
> its plugin folder
> If you've done eveything correctly you should have a folder "CanoScan
> Toolbox" somewhere on your drive. In there should be an application
> called "CanoScan Toolbox X"
> To scan in a standalone application you'll need to install the CanoScan
> Toolbox and the ScanGear plug-in into it's plug-ins.
> It does work here and in several other places under various releases of
> Jaguar and Panther.
>
> what "does not work"? Do you get an error message? If so which one?

Thanks for the info. I don't have the time to check it out right now.
Getting ready to head to wrok. I'll check it out tonight, and report my
experience back here...

--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

Walt Basil
10-26-2004, 11:24 PM
On 2004-10-26 06:47:22 -0600, Andreas Rutishauser <andreas[at]macandreas.ch> said:

> what "does not work"? Do you get an error message? If so which one?

Well...

Downloaded the Toolbox X, installed the plugin into the Toolbox X
plugin folder. Tried to scan, but only get a text box that says:
Cannot communicate with the Scanner.
Cable may be disconnected.
Check Status.
Scanner driver will be closed.

Did the obvious with cable connections, etc.

Seems like an unfinished product. No icons. Only the generic OS X
"Applications" icon, such as you would see with an AppleWorks document.

I'm not going to fool with it anymore. VueScan works great with it, and
with many more options than what I can see in the Toolbox X application.

Thanks for taking the time to point this out.

--
Walt Basil
www.basilweb.net

buried_myself_alive
10-27-2004, 04:00 PM
thanks for everyones help on this subject.
i have been using vuescan free trial but im having trouble entering
the serial number i got to use it.
when i enter it,it says "you will have water marks...etc." as if
ignoring the serial number,not saying wether its right or wrong.
any advice?

Steinar Moum
10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
In article <417fc627$1_1[at]alt.athenanews.com>,
wrote:

> thanks for everyones help on this subject.
> i have been using vuescan free trial but im having trouble entering
> the serial number i got to use it.
> when i enter it,it says "you will have water marks...etc." as if
> ignoring the serial number,not saying wether its right or wrong.
> any advice?

Can?t you pay for VueScan, it is fine software.

sm

Gerry
10-27-2004, 09:18 PM
After the discussion, I went and fetched VueScan and though it looks
good (I used an incarnation under OS9 with another scanner), I'm
confused about it's operation.

I have a CanoScan LiDE. I've lost the packaging but I see no additional
numbers (20, 30, etc). But both are indicated as supported at
VueScan's site.

I attemped to use VueScan with it, but it tells me it finds no scanner
on-line.

Any guesses about what's up?

--
Invest wisely: Over the past 75 years, stocks have averaged annual gains of 2.3
percent under GOP administrations, compared with 9.5 under Democratic ones.

Mike Rosenberg
10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
wrote:

> i have been using vuescan free trial but im having trouble entering
> the serial number i got to use it.
> when i enter it,it says "you will have water marks...etc." as if
> ignoring the serial number,not saying wether its right or wrong.
> any advice?

Did you write to Hamrick and ask them what to do?

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius

Reginald Dwight
10-28-2004, 05:03 PM
wrote:

> i have been using vuescan free trial but im having trouble entering
> the serial number i got to use it.

The above is unclear - you don't need a serial to run the free trial.

Assuming you mean you bought a license, e-mail Ed (VueScan's creator)
and tell him about the problem with the serial and he will undoubtedly
have you going in a few hours. He's pretty fast!